Friday, September 5, 2014

Back to schooler.

Well, it has definitely been a busy week for me. School started this week, and I'm way to motivated about it. I've already done almost two weeks worth of school work, just this week alone. My goal is to get half a month to a month ahead in school work and stay there. That way there is no stress if I get distracted or something happens and I can't do work for a few days.
All my classes are online, so that's how I'm achieving this. I honestly don't think I could go back to standard classes, with long lectures and tons of homework. I'd rather be assigned the readings, that way you know the text books you're buying are worth it, and write papers. I'm at the point where I try to avoid classes that have mid-terms and final examinations. I'd rather there be a long paper at the end of the semester over everything I learned. I think that shows more of my breadth of knowledge then some multiple choice test, and memorizing dates and begging for study guides.
The classes I'm taking are Terrorism, Women and Social Action and the Sociology of Work. Very interesting semester indeed. 


I've also done a bit of reading recently too. I read the entire Traitor Spy Trilogy by Trudi Canavan. If you haven't read it and you like a good fantasy series I highly recommend it. It was captivating, and told a great story. I'm now going to read more of her books, because I really like the world she set up for her stories. It's impressive.










I also read The Goodly Spellbook by Dixie Deerman and Steven Rasmussen. I read it pretty much in one day. I liked the writing style, it was very informal, but not all attempting to be sparkly and ooh the audience. The book cover's a wide range of history, as well as their personal experiences and growth in the world of magic. I like how the book also covered sigils and went into detail about the moon phases and planets. Though I think they went more indepth on the planets than moon. Which was nice, because I hadn't ever studied much on that. The spell section didn't have as much in it as I thought it would, given the title of the book. And some of the spells require a lot of ingredients. Then, like all spell books, some of the spells I pondered if they were even real (and worked). I sometimes wonder if pagan authors throw in fake spells just to keep people on their toes. But I overall am pleased with my purchase due to that it wasn't a basic 101 book, I'm a bit tired of those. I've read quite a bit of them over the years. But yet I'm not quite ready to just do my own thing yet. I feel like something is missing...


The book I'm going to start next is Mythology by Edith Hamilton. It was a bit difficult to pick a mythology book to read, there were a few I wanted. But I think this is a good start for now. I didn't read any reviews on this before buying it, but the cover says, "Classic best seller". So it can't be too bad. :P


I'm a bit tempted to actually start writing decent reviews of all the books I read. I might not publish them all, but it would be something fun to do. And maybe in the writing of the review I'll come to a few revelations that I didn't get from just going through the book. I remember in high school we used to do literary analysis of books we read. Most students hated it, but if it was a book I was interested in, I loved it. Mainly because a lot of things that occur in stories I just take literally. I don't expound upon the symbolism or hidden meanings of a lot of things. Or how it reflects things that happened in history or societies views. So in doing a literary analysis I felt like I was understanding the story better, and the intent the author had in the book.
And I might just be too stupid to understand things on my own. I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment