Monday, April 14, 2014

Pillow chair

So I did this a while back, and technically its still something I'm supposed to be working on.
So about a decade ago (Ugh, I can actually say that now and it be true. I hate it, but I use it all the time because it pleases me at the same time) my Mother gave me this sweet pillow chair. Perfect for lounging and reading. And I use it all the time. However, after so many years of use, and falling asleep on and I've taken it with me everywhere in life, it was starting to look really gross. I was at the point where I'd put it away or put blankets and stuff on it when people came around.
But I have never seen another pillow chair so well done, and perfect. That makes me refuse to give it up.
Being the genius I am, I decided that I could just sew new fabric on it. Why not? People reupholster furniture all the time.
So I went to Tokai Heart and made a wild guess at how much fabric I'd need, also taking into account how I'll probably mess up at some point cutting it, so I should get extra.
I also bought a sweet curved needle (and some finger protection). Lastly I bought iron-on fusing web. Which, I'm sure can easily be skipped, but I think it helped a little bit.

I forgot to take pictures of most of this. I was too excited and just started working on it.
But I laid the fabric over the pillow and traced it so it was close in shape. Cut it out, ironed it flat, and I folded the edges under and ironed those down as well.



And then I began just sewing the fabric on around the edges. It was handy that there is the pieces around the pillow, because it hides my stitches pretty well.
I used the iron-on fusing web to hold the fabric on and keep it in place. I laid it on the edges near where I was going to be sewing and ironed the fabric onto it.





So this piece took forever it felt like. My poor fingers were so sore from pushing the needle through so many times. I kept my stitches small and close together, I don't want it coming off or apart easily. Not until I'm ready to replace it again. 







I haven't done the back yet, saving the biggest chore for last. Especially since it'll be a huge piece, and a weird shape.

 So after taking a break for a week or so, I got around to sewing the arm pieces on.
I'm pretty pleased with myself, because I've never done anything like this before. This was just on a whim of trying to save a favorite pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment